We are pleased to invite you to the World Heritage City of Kraków for the International Conference The Heritage of Crisis. A Crisis of Heritage? The conference is organized in hybrid form by the Jagiellonian University Doctoral School in the Humanities in collaboration with the SSC in CH of Una Europa. It is addressed to both doctoral students as well as to researchers with more academic experience.
The event is a response to progressive social changes in various areas of what is broadly known as the humanities and is associated with many aspects of crisis. We invite researchers who have noticed changes in thematic motivations, modifications of tradition, the development of existing methods, and finally any revolutionary attempts to break up with the existing state of affairs in the areas of their interest. We especially welcome speeches focusing on the relationship between the concepts of crisis and heritage but also those regarding the implementation of the motif of crisis in cultural texts of all kinds, including literature, music, language, social media, etc.
Proposed Research Questions:
1. How has the approach to the concept of heritage changed? What are the consequences of these modifications?
2. How can we understand the concept of Critical Heritage? In what directions are Critical Heritage Studies heading?
3. What is the current relationship between discourse and heritage? How has this relationship changed?
4. At this point in time, can crisis be historicized in recent humanities? Does crisis discourse have anything to offer the new humanities?
5. What is the culture of crisis? How can cultural heritage help in dealing with crises?
6. What can be said about cultural performances of crisis in its broadest sense?
7. Can crisis and heritage research influence each other? How do crises affect our research practices?
8. Can crisis be considered a research topic? How can it be defined and conceptualized by different disciplines, methodologies, etc.?
9. Does the metaphor of crisis productively describe situations in various fields of research, disciplines, subdisciplines, methodologies, etc.?
10. Are the humanities in crisis? Do the methodologies currently employed require r)evolutionary changes?
The proposed research topics are only suggestions. We encourage you to submit your own ideas for topics related to the concepts of crisis and heritage.
Three volumes of selected papers inspired by the conference are planned for publication in periodicals of international appeal.
The application form is available at the link.
II. ABSTRACT REQUIREMENTS
Please attach the abstract of your speech along with a short bibliography (max. 5 positions) to the application form.
The abstract must be written in English, saved in pdf, anonymized, 2700-3600 characters in length, spaces included, written in font: Times New Roman, 12 pt, spaced: 1.5 lines.
Amphitheater Hall at the JU Library (Al. Adama Mickiewicza 22, 30-059 Kraków)
IV. DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
April 5th, 2023
V. SELECTION OF THE APPLICATIONS
April 17th, 2023
VI. PUBLICATION OF THE FINAL PROGRAM
May 10th, 2023
VII. CONFERENCE DATES
May 18th-20th, 2023
VIII. CONFERENCE FEE
150 PLN/35€ (in person) or 100 PLN/23€ (online) JU SDNH doctoral students – free of charge
In case of any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
More information on the website.